Thursday 30 May 2013

FMP- First Illustration


From my artist research I decided to create the model layer using hand drawn materials. When doing this it looked less flat and traced compared to computer the drawings. I drew out the model using pencil to a create subtle flow of movement within the lines. I then highlighted the figure which made her vibrant and stand out. I also used the pencil to show the contrast between light and shadow on the figure which made her look more realistic and life-like. This worked well because the tone creates a three dimensional depth. The flowing movement of the biro pen in her hair overlaps and creates a textured pattern. 
After creating my first layer I scanned it into Photoshop and experimented with different components. From my sketch book I scanned in developed drawings to play around with. I added a pixelated layer which was dynamic and bold. This layer became dominant because we are drawn to the bright, exciting colours. Having the pixelated layer made the top corner look heavy so I balanced it out with vibrant paint splashes. These worked well because even though they were bold the splashes were soft and gentle making the illustration less blocky. After creating the vibrant layers I create small subtle illustration of pillars to show that my theme was Greek. These worked well because the tiny detail is simple and the marks have been put together to create something highly complexed. 
As this was the first illustration I created it was not as successful as the others because there is no link with the colour palette and it seems messy with no formal order. Also the shapes are busy and random. When printed out the illustration was blurry and was not as dynamic and vibrant as I wanted it to be. This error would effect the other illustrations by bringing down the standard of the work so I did not use it in my exhibition. Compared to this illustration my others were more crisp and clean with a professional, slick finish to them. Also the other three illustrations had similar colours and shapes so they had a strong link where as this illustration had a strong contrast because the composition was not solved. If I was going to develop this illustration I would rethink my composition and mark making so there would be a contrast with bold, blocky areas and subtle linear areas. Even though this illustration was unsuccessful I believe it was good for a first go but needed to be improved to get up to the standard of the others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment