Wednesday 22 May 2013

Homage to Books- Artist Research Sonia Lamera

The latest project we have been given is called Homage to books. This project limits us to 3 outcomes from all our sessions. I have to explore, design, develop and produce exciting responses to the theme of homage to books.
For this project I didn't know any relevant artists that used the idea of books in their work. To overcome this I did some research on Colossal and Pinterest where I found relevant and unique artists to help inspire  my work.
One of the artists I found was Sonia Lamera. This artist created the alphabet using books. She has used the books to sculpt the letters which gives it an element of pattern as the shapes have been repeated. From sculpting the letters she has made them 3 dimensional which gives it depth and adds tone because of the contrast between the light surfaces and dark corners. I think she decided to create the alphabet because it is what is contained in books, so rather than it just being in the book it is the book, which shows us the writing makes the book what it is. Using the alphabet was a good idea because it is used in everyday life and people can relate to it. From looking at this work it has inspired me to play around with the actual book itself and also to look at typography.





In comparison to Sonia Lamera's books I decided to have ago at playing around with the shape of the books myself. I found this process harder than it looks because you have to have the same size and shape book to create the letters successfully otherwise it would look uneven and wouldn't correctly portray the letters. I don't think my outcomes were very successfu because I didn't have similar books which made my letter look inaccurate.If I was going to do this again I would plan on how I would make the letters so I could choose the correct books to make each one. To develop this I would use the edges of the paper in the books to print the letter which would give it texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment