Monday 29 April 2013

FMP Research- Julian Opie Sketchbook Page

Julian Opie creates portraits which dehumanises people as there is a lack of features which takes away the identity of the person. The reason for doing that is because he feels that everyone is the same even celebrities. These simple portraits have a lack of emotion because the person has been stripped down of all character. These portraits have humour because they are playful and have a lack of emotion. The bold, block colours used makes the portraits striking and exciting. There are minimal elements used in his portraits which gives off a child like atmosphere because you would think a child could produce something this simple. His work is slick because the shapes and colours used are bold and clean which makes it look professional. Even though his work is minimalistic it is sophisticated. 
I looked at Julian Opie because I firstly created blocky fashion illustrations for my portfolio. I decided to experiment further with this bold style of drawing to see if it was successful enough to be used in for my final illustrations. Even though Julian Opie's work is slick and professional I think it is too dehumanised for my final illustrations. 
His work is inspirational because it looks simple and easy to create but it is sophisticated and clean.
As I researched Julian Opie's work I decided to create a sample using his style of drawing. Likewise to Julian Opie's portraits mine dehumanises the person taking away their identity and makes them look like a cartoon. Also compared to Julian Opie's portraits mine also has bright, blocky colours which make the sample look dynamic and crisp . In contrast to his portraits my sample is not a famous person which almost takes away the idea of everyone being the same because not everyone knows that person for being famous. 
I could develop this style of drawing by faded out the bold colours and adding patterns to give it texture. Even though I could do that I think it would be to overpower on the illustration and fade out everything else. For that reason I'm not going to use this technique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment