Tuesday 30 April 2013

FMP-Greek Fashion Drapery

This is a page from my sketchbook focusing on drapery in Greek fashion. Drapery is folds and woven patterns of loose-hanging clothing on the human form. It was accessorised to the female form by Greek vase-painters and sculptors of the 15th century and is still a major form of style in sculptures and paintings. The flowing drapery follows the bodies form, emphasizing the twists. The floating drapery shows movement in the lines because of the flowing materials and the actions shown with it. When drawing drapery for my illustrations I'm either going to use biro or ink because they are neat materials and I'll get a clean crisp line to capture the flow of movement in the material. Also using biro and ink I have the option to use strokes freely and glide them across the page to show the floating drapery. I wouldn't use charcoal or watercolour because they are messy and wouldn't give a crisp stroke. Although it would show the contrast with the light and dark on the material and bring in the element of tone. Using the tone can show depth but I just want to focus on the shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment