Friday 7 June 2013

FMP Research- Banksy





For my FMP I am including graffiti into my illustrations  because I was inspired by the dynamic graffiti I saw in Athens. As I am looking at graffiti I found it relevant to look at Banksy because he is the leading graffiti artist on our streets today.
Banksy's work is striking because of the blunt use of messages present used in an art-form. Banksy isn't just a graffiti artist, he is a political spokesman against capitalism and war. Banksy stirs up his audience with his direct statements by giving out his own opinion. Banksy's work is bold because it cuts straight to the point about what he wants to say and doesn't have any hidden meaning. There is a heavy use of irony within his work as it centres around a single key idea and makes it humorous. His work is simplistic which is agreeable to the youth because of the understanding of his creations. Banksy takes complex abstractions and reduces them into something smaller. As he uses his statements they become a container of ideas and concepts of the outside world and simply just a way to get his opinion out. By knowing and understanding Banksy's references, either a clear message or a clever joke, the public become impressed with their intelligence  which is what gains his followers. Banksy's works are puzzles which makes them childlike. Within work the colour red is present which signifies blood. The use of blood represents terror and danger. This is used to show the harshness and bluntness in his statement.
Banksy work has inspired me to get my message across without any hidden meaning. Within my work I am going to create simplistic designs so it is easier to understand. Also these will be beneficial   to the public as they won't have any uncertainty about my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment