Saturday 8 June 2013

Homage to Books Plaster Mould Process


As my project is called Homage to Books I decided to create a plaster mould using books to show the imprint and textures present. I lined the books up so it looked like they were on a shelf. This made them look neat and clean, almost like they would be placed In a library. When create the plaster mould I didn't make my clay walls strong enough so they collapsed and the plaster leaked. I solved this problem by quickly adding more clay to the corners of the mould so it would be strong enough to hold the plaster. After I peeled away the mould from the dried plaster I had some inaccurate edges. To over come this I cut them off on the band saw. This process worked well because my press mould had a variety of layers and textures which made it look 3 dimensional and gave it depth. To improve on this process I would be more careful when pressing the books into the clay because it slipped and didn't come out straight. To develop this outcome I would create smaller pieces uses different areas of the books to experiment with texture. I would also create more plaster moulds and line them up so it would look like a shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment