Saturday 8 June 2013

Homage to Books Artist Research Bronia Swayer

From looking at artist who use the actual book in their work I found Bronia Swayer. Bronia Swayer  takes the pages from the book and moulds them into different sculptures and uses them to print. By doing this she creates textured patterns and prints.


From looking at her work the pages in the book look oriental as they look free and loose. The path of the pages show flowing movement as they expand off in all directions, liquefying the pages. The folding of the pages creates a layered effect which gives it depth. It also creates a contrast between light and shadow as we see the corners and the light surface. In effect to this it her work looks 3 dimensional. All her work is flowing and bursting out from the centre which make it exciting, as if it's exploding. Bronia Swayer's work has inspired me to use the book as a material and create something from it. She has inspired me to recycle the book into something useful.


From looking at Bronia Swayer's work I decided to not create pieces with the book itself but to create prints using the technique of her page sculpting. I did this to experiment with shape and pattern for further developments.In comparison to Bronia Swayer's work mine is flat and doesn't have a definite shape because of the thinness of the pages. Compared to Bronia Swayer's work mine isn't as detail and crisp as her because it singularly sculpt each page as that would be very time consuming in the space I had. Also if I did that the printing wouldn't be as effective because the pages would be too delicate to print with an would be destroyed. I think my print has worked well because I have create a varied pattern using the same process as Bronia Swayer, but developed it further. For further development I could print this design onto fabric as an all over print or create different shapes with pages to get a different type of pattern. I found this process quite difficult because the pages were so delicate which caused them to easily bend. I don't think I'll do this process again because it is fiddly and difficult to get the right shape you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment