Saturday 8 June 2013

Journey- Colour Slip Process



As I am looking at signs for my project I created a panel using the colours slip process to shows the positive and negative of a shapes of signs. 
By creating negative shapes it gives an idea of the shape being a memory or a dream, as if it isn't there anymore. Also it creates a shadow which give it a 3 dimensional depth. 
I used press stamps and edges of the clay knife to create pattern. This create texture and balanced out the composition. While making this slab I found it difficult to stop the slip running under the paper. I solved this problem by dampening the paper before I placed it on the clay. Another problem I found was  the thin clay. As the clay was so thin I had to be careful how deep I made my mark otherwise it would break. I overcame this by pressing gently the shape or textured I wanted.
I think this process worked well for me because I was careful on how I applied the slip over the paper so that it didn't run.Also I think the composition works well because everything is balanced out. For further development I'm going to experiment with underglaze pens so that I can create bold lines which highlight certain areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment