Friday 7 June 2013

FMP-The Changing of the Guards, Athens

As fashion is my chosen area I decided to look at the costume of The Guards in Athens because it's more vibrant and playful compared to the usual Ancient Greek and Contemporary Greek fashion.When in Athens I visited The Guards to get inspiration for my design work. Their outfits weren't like typical Guard outfits, as you would expect them to be dull, camouflaged colours and strong fixed shapes. The Guards in Athens dressed in flowing material which emphasised the movement in their clothing. The outfit was bright which made them dynamic and stand out. This made their performance more exciting. They wore shoes with pompoms on them which also made their outfit playful because of the free movement. Having pompom on their shoes also gave their outfit a different texture. It made the outfit humorous because it could be compared to clown shoes. Navy was present in their outfit because it was winter. Using navy as the dominant colour in winter shows the dark palettes used in the fashion trending of that time. Also navy is used to show royalty as it is a deep and mysterious colour.
From the research I had found I decided to create a sketchbook page looking at the different components which made up the outfit. I created stitch samples looking at the different shapes present on the outfit. There was a lot of zigzags present so I created a stitch sample using the sewing machine. This worked well because you are able to see the texture and fine detail in the costume from looking at this sample. I also created two other stitch samples. I created stitch samples because it is more relevant to clothing and material. When looking at the colour palette I found that the colours present were primary colours. Primary colours are important so they are used to show the importance of the Guards and Royalty.
The costume of the Guards has inspired me to use different stitch techniques in my outcomes to create texture and give it depth. Also to choose my materials and patterns carefully so I can create playful exciting outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment