Tuesday 11 June 2013

FMP- Sarah Moon Research

Sarah Moon's illustration are soft because there is no blocky, bold elements present. As is it soft it makes the illustration look delicate and subtle. The idea of it being subtle makes it less overpowering and calm. In her illustrations muddy colours are used which makes them look dull. If I was going to create an illustration using the same colour palette as Sarah Moon I would use tea staining because it would be successful as it wouldn't be bold and vibrant. The eyes in her work are dominant because they are bold and striking which draws us in. These piercing eyes have been created with tone which gives them a three dimensional depth and makes them realistic. The coloured behind the figure used for her illustrations is successful because it highlights the figure making it stand out from the background. 
I decided to look at Sarah Moon's illustrations because they are more subtle and calm compared to the other illustrators I have research. With Sarah Moon's work I think the most successful factor is her use of tone. The tone blends in the figure creating shadow and light, making it look life-like and gentle. Her work has inspired me to use lighter tones and gentler marks to create subtle layers.  I would develop her materials and methods by experimenting with chalk to have a free flowing composition because chalk is a material you don't have full control over. I'm going to use the subtleness of Sarah Moon's illustrations for my model layer because this effect will not fade any other layer and at the same time it is not dominant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment