Saturday 8 June 2013

Homage to books Experimenting with different Typography






I decided to look at typography in my Homage project because text is what makes a books and I wanted to experiment with different styles and fonts.  Firstly I looked at created negative space with text. This worked well because t create a shadow and outline of the shape, almost as of the letter become a memory of it's own self. To develop this I would create screen prints using this technique by creating it on the computer and transferring it to acetate. The would give it an element of graphics while compared to the cut out it would be blocky and bold, which would make it vibrant. In comparison to the negative space I create text cutting out the actual letters. In contrast to the negative cut it shows a difference with layering as this one looks 3 dimensional because it is sticking out. Like wise I could also create a press mould using the cut outs to create a texture piece. Using it as a press mould would give it depth and make it look 3 dimensional. 
In contrast to the other typography I looked at modern writing, graffiti. I looked at graffiti because it is a contrast to calligraphy has more order and abrupt lines .Graffiti writing is soft as it bubbles shaped with round edges. I find this writing successful as it is exciting and unique. What intrigues me with graffiti is that it is questioned whether it is art or crime. To develop graffiti writing I am going to explore around my area to see if I can find actual graffiti writing and create fabric prints focusing on colour palettes and styles of graffiti. 

No comments:

Post a Comment